Elementary school preparing students for Hyflex learning.

Bates talks about blended learning as a continuum taking on a variety of forms with a component of face to face instruction as well as a technology component. Blended learning can take on various forms with technology being a classroom aid to providing students with flexibility to when and how learning is completed online or in person.

Hybrid learning is placed on the right side of the continuum of blended learning, closest to fully online learning. When we dig deeper into what is Hybrid-Flexible learning or Hyflex learning, we can see that when done correctly, it is far from moving the classroom online.

Whenever I dig deeper into a topic, I always look through an elementary school lens. The following are the questions I had running through my head while reading about Blended and Hyflex learning.

• How can this be applied to my real world situation teaching in an elementary school?
  • How can my role as a Learning Resource Teacher support teachers and students using this model?
  • What are some advantages and disadvantages to this model?
  • Going forward, is this a realistic sustainable way of learning?

With my current understanding of Hyflex learning, I do not see it as feasible in an elementary setting. However, blended learning is an absolute possibility and we can prepare students for an increase use of technology as their academic journey progress towards high school and post secondary education.

In reading Bates textbook, chapter 4 and 10 speak specifically about college education and professional development using blended learning. Students in a university setting are much different from those in an elementary classroom. Something that was mentioned over and over which stood out to me is the need to build skills. Bates summarizes key points of chapter 3 and 4 saying: “We need teaching methodsĀ for teaching and learning that lead to the development of the skills needed in a digital age.” This is where I see elementary school fitting into Hyflex learning, preparing students for more independent and flexible learning by teaching them important skills for using technology, analyzing the information they are getting online, creative thinking and so on. As the students move forward in their education and learn these skills they can move further right on the continuum.

As a Learning Resource Teacher, I can request technology, such as a Chrome Book, to support student learning. Students require guidance on how to use the Chrome Book as tool to support their learning. Learning about Blended learning highlights the importance of all students learning skills for the digital age. This is an area I could support the teachers to best support their students.

Bates and Beatty both talk about Hyflex learning at a post secondary level for more mature learners. This is also why I don’t think it is possible at the elementary level as many students don’t have the decision making skills and motivation to be independent learners. They are still developing those skills.

Beatty shares advantages of Hyflex learning for students as: increased access to courses, schedule control and increased learning resources. Advantages for staff is being able to reach more students and provide more support to students. Reference is made to students who are working or that have to travel a distance to school would benefit from this type of program. From personal experience as a university athlete during my undergraduate degrees, balancing my academic schedule as well as training, travel and games I had to miss some classes however, it was required to keep a certain academic standard to be able to play. Having the option to take a Hyflex class would have been a great option in that situation as well.

Disadvantages that Beatty points out are: students have to be able to manage their time and schedule to complete their work and having access to the appropriate technology. The development of the program for the instructor takes time to learn and design the program. Instructors would require time and education to be able to properly prepare their courses.

Finally, Bates talks about rethinking the learning space. At the post secondary level this would be very costly and where do you start? Would it be worth making major changes not knowing if this design model is here to stay. This is another area where I feel elementary schools could start preparing students for a Hyflex type of learning by rethinking the physical space of the learning environment.

Image from https://pressbooks.bccampus.ca/teachinginadigitalagev2/chapter/10-5-which-mode-pedagogical-issues/

I feel that Hyflex learning is here to stay. At the elementary level, we can start small by rethinking one space at a time as this would be a costly project. I was on a committee at an elementary to school to redesign our library to be a space where group work, independent work, using technology and presentations can be done in a more modern way. We talked about the importance of moveable, comfortable furniture to have more flexibility in our groupings and teachings. This is an example of where a elementary school could start.

What do you think, is Hyflex learning here to stay?

2 thoughts on “Elementary school preparing students for Hyflex learning.

1. Thank you for your thoughts on blended learning. Like you, I look through an elementary lens. I definitely see the need for our early learners to develop digital skills in order to move towards a hyflex learning model. I like to think that a continuum of learning needs to be developed for our early learners to be successful at developing these digital skills. Supporting students and teachers in your current role sounds like a great idea.
    Kendra

2. Oh Yes – were on the same page – Digital System Course dedicated to learning the LMS and how the function. The “How to Blog” course or the “Using Seesaw” or “Making a Google Slides” would be great for young students.