Creating community with student/student- instructor communication.

The course that I am creating is a support for teachers to use and it is a course that I will use when working with students in small groups. Creating a sense of community and safe space for learning are always high on my list as I begin any school year and when I begin working with a new group of students. Once this is built, we work to foster it for the duration of the year.

At the beginning of a session, I plan to have in person face-to-face interactions with my students and when this isn’t possible we will use Google Meets. During these first interactions we will set up expectations for our time together. This will be in-person expectations as well as expectations when using technology such as Google Meets, using apps and other activities done online. I found a good Resource for helping make a matrix for setting up online behaviour expectations. Below is a great example of a visual of expectations that could be used with elementary students.

Screen shot taken from Your Guide to teaching 1st grade online

In the article Guide to teaching 1st grade online, the author says “Many teachers have found that the best way to help students get used to the system is to begin with low-stakes, fun tasks to complete using the LMS.” During student- teacher face-to- face interactions we will also spend time getting to know Google Classroom, the LMS I plan to use for my course. Some of these activities can be set up for interactions between students.

I am nervous about the idea of using discussion boards with students from grade 1-3. I work primary with students working significantly below grade level and often don’t have the skills developed yet for spelling. However, this many be a fun and engaging way to practice. I am also considering using Flipgrid to provide the students an opportunity to create videos with questions or examples of their reading. This would provide an opportunity for student-student and student-teacher interactions.

Start video at 3:30 for ideas about using Flipgrid in your online class.

Finally, thanks to Leona for providing an excellent review of Book Creator, I think this would be another great way to have the students interact. At the writing station, the students could create a book together using their simple sentences. I think this would be a fun and engaging way to encourage writing and creating together.

By starting each session with a discussing the expectations, having visuals for the expectations and referring back to them will be important on helping make these interactions meaningful. The Flipgrid videos, Book Creator books and possible discussions boards, these can be shared with the classroom teachers to be used as part of assessment and see the growth in their students.

I would love to hear your feedback on using these tools with grade 1- 3 students. Have you successfully used any discussion boards with grade 1- 3 students?

6 thoughts on “Creating community with student/student- instructor communication.

1. Hello,
    Thank you for the great visual regarding expectations. I think it would be a great support to the early learners and students who need additional supports. I also like the idea of using Flipgrid. It seems to be a great tool to use with our elementary students. I am excited to explore “Book Creator” that Leona shared as well. I haven’t found any discussion boards that work for younger students. They typically enjoy just adding emojis and simple words which don’t tend to be on topic. That has been my experience. Anyway, thanks for sharing your ideas!
    -Kendra

2. Congrats on taking this on with the little ones! I have a shout-out to you in my blog for doing this work with them at a young age to help us middle teachers continue to scaffold off of the foundation you lay. We have some great teachers at my school that get students techy and ready for us to do amazing things at the grade 7&8 level. Great post! Thanks!

3. Hello,
    I really relate to building those connections early on and developing trust as a group. We really do have to set time aside to do this! I have used discussion boards with my grade 3’s before, in your post it sounds like you are going to create expectations together. That’s the first place to start! Consider showing samples of comments and having them vote on if they think it’s a good comment or not, then gather some explanations to get that background knowledge activated. As far as spelling, I’ve always liked Google Read and Write to use the text to speech feature, just to make it clear to the original poster. How do you plan on assessing their participation?

1. Thank you for your suggestions on how to get started with the discussion boards! Due to the nature of my role, I have less formal assessing. As far as assessing their participation I would want students to answer a prompt or post when given. If they are struggling to do so I will work them individually as I mostly work with small groups or individual students, it provides the oportunity for lots of one on one support.

4. I love the visuals with the Zoom Ground Rules and the Flipgrid video! Clearly, it is possible to begin integrating and encouraging a respectful learning community with earlier agr groups.

5. Flipgrid is something I am not very familiar with so I appreciate you posting a video to help with understanding that program! Sounds like you have a clear vision of what your want your online classroom community to become, nice work!

Scott