Course shell and first lessons: a work in progress

I am excited and nervous to share my course shell and first lessons for my blended course Reading Support program. The main concept of my course stems from a support that I have done with the assistance of our school’s Teacher Librarian. I feel very fortunate to have the support and expertise of another teacher but realize that this will not always be possible. By creating a blended, in person and online, version I will be able to run this program on my own and share it with classroom teachers to use as a support and differentiation in their classrooms.

I am using Google Classroom as my learning management system. I am hoping to get feedback on how I have organized the materials. My target population is Grade 1-3 students so I would like it to be as user friendly as possible. A great amount of pre teaching will be required for the students to learn the platform but once they do, I hope they can work with some independence.

I have created two Google Classrooms so far. One is the Teacher Resource, which gives an explanation of the course as well as the lesson plans for each section of reading levels. This will be explained in more detail in my walk through. The second Classroom is for Section A, which is non readers and level 1 readers. I have created a reference section with videos, logins and links to the other apps that will be used. I plan to create a separate classroom for each of my Sections in order to keep the activities and information separate and appropriate for each group. This is were the lessons will be posted daily as well as resources and other information that would be helpful to the students.

Walk through of shell and course plan.

Next, I have created two videos to show the walk through of the student Google Classroom page. I wanted to use an iPad for this as that is what the students would be using. I was having a bit of trouble recording that so I went back to the laptop to complete the recording, this is why there are two video for this section.

above- iPad Student walk through. below- continued student walk through on laptop.

Thank you for taking the time to check out my course. I welcome any feedback and look forward to editing and continuing to develop my course.

*In the lesson that I shared, I make reference to a game I call “Jeu des animaux”. This game comes from Maternelle avec Mme Andrea. She has many great activities and tools for teaching French to primary students. I highly recommend that you check out her blog if you are looking for ideas.

4 thoughts on “Course shell and first lessons: a work in progress

1. This looks fantastic, you have paid a lot of attention to detail. I think that you plan and course is easy to follow and your activities are explained to detail. Great job! I’m excited to see the rest of your modules

2. Laurie,

This looks great! Your LMS and lesson plans are very thorough and organized! I appreciate that you created this as a teacher resource as well. The level of planning is outstanding! Also, Boom Cards has piqued my interest… Thank you for sharing another tool to add to my toolbox!

Well done!

3. Wow, this is very well done! I like seeing some of the features that Google Classroom offers. I have really enjoyed seeing everyone’s use of LMS’ and the different creative twists everyone has been using. I feel my division’s tools have limited us on what we can do, especially in comparison to Google Classroom, O365 does not compare!
    Thanks for a very thorough post!

4. Amazing!!
    So mnay different digital tools!
    I get the preteaching aspect! However, with all your detail I feel like they will be able to be very independent with your course!